Friday, May 8, 2009

Mi casa es tu casa



On Friday I had quite a test for my handyman skills... we built a house! 

At my apartment I am known as the "hubby" because I am often the one to kill the bugs, tuck everyone in (mostly Trisha), and do little projects like fix the blinds or hang a picture frame. These menial tasks failed to prepare me for constructing a bamboo house on stilts. Needless to say, I wasn't the most helpful volunteer. My fellow nurses convinced me to try to hammer in a few nails but soon they allowed/banned me to be the official "nail-giver/photographer." 

In our time down here our group will build four houses for Hogar de Cristo. I explained this program earlier but here it is in a nutshell. Hogar de Cristo employs construction workers to build the walls of the home at the "planta" or factory. People come to Hogar de Cristo to apply for a home. There are many steps to getting a home like a family interview, finances review, and current home visit. Some are living with other family and some may be homeless. The approved families pay for their house in full ($800) over three to four years. They make monthly payments of $15-20. 

The day was HOT and the work hard but we did it! The family we built it for was adorable! They have been together for nine years (quite a feat in Ecuador), he has a steady job as a gasolinero, and they have three beautiful children! 

Lifting up the heavy walls

This was our group of nursing students turned construction workers! 

Half the neighborhood gathered to watch the entertainment... 
gringos trying to build a house :)

These are the two daughters of the family.
 The baby girl's name is Allison (but they called her Allie) so we had a very special bond :)
Pretty much cutest girl ever with her new house! 

Here's the whole bunch! The family, BYU Nursing kiddos, and Hogar de Cristo volunteers

So my skin has discovered that the country is named Ecuador because it's on the freaking EQUATOR. The sun is crazy strong. I put tons of sunscreen on but I now have a perma v-neck tan line from that day. Grrreat! 

Oh and Brett- pretty sure I was representing your dear Alma Mater, Yale, that day! Check out my shorts in the picture with the girls. Go bulldogs! 


2 comments:

Kimber said...

How do you look so cute in a foreign country while doing manual labor?! Looks like a success!! Proud of you! What an incredible opportunity to be doing different things each day! Love ya!!! PS- i tried calling you yesterday, but then realized you're not in this country :(

Katie said...

Allie!! You built a house! I love it. And you look so happy! Your blog reports inspire me every day! love you!