Monday, May 4, 2009

Church in Ecuador and people watching...

Yesterday was my first day attending church in Spanish since two years ago in the Dominican Republic! I am happy to report that it went fairly well. I understood much more than I remember and I was able to get to know some of the members. They actually changed their bishopric that Sunday so it was interesting to hear from the new and old bishops. I started talking to a cute little girl, Diana, after Sacrament and attended the rest of church with her. I stumbled over my words when asked to read in Sunday School but I think they appreciated my participation!  Diana was twelve years old so we went to Mujeres Jovenes (Young Womens). It was so fun! After the lesson, the teacher asked me to tell the girls about myself. They had many questions about Utah, school in America, and nursing. Both the Sunday School teacher and Young Womens President were girls my age going to the university. They were such beautiful, sharp girls! I was totally impressed with them.


After church we took a walk on the “Malecon”- it’s like a riverwalk with restaurants and vendors everywhere. People-watching there was just fabulous. I took some pictures of my favorite moments.

So first we saw a group of people crowded around in a circle. Naturally we were curious and walked over there. What we found was a surprisingly tame squirrel being fed by a toddler! It was so strange. People gathered to watch this kid play with a rodent. It was actually quite entertaining. 


Next, I saw a woman holding up her baby in front of a poster. Yep pretty sure she was trying to take a picture so it looked like a dinosaur was eating her baby. Ten points for creativity… Looks like there are no nutrition concerns for this little one! 


Love those cute rolls...

Then being typical tourists, we had a man snap a photo of us in front of this monument but we still have no idea what the heck it is. Beautiful though…


Finally while walking home, we ran into this jolly pair! I thought they were way too cute to pass up a photo. 

Hope your Sunday was wonderful too! 

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my goodness...that baby is so cute and chubby! Love it!

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

I wish I could have gone to young womans with you...
Miss you lots! ~mom

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

Everything looks amazing. How is the clinic. Miss you. We are on the train from Boston to ct. Love dad