Saturday, May 2, 2009

Bienvenidos a Guayaquil, Ecuador!


Well I made it! I'm currently blogging it up in my hotel room while the roomies sleep. Mind you it's 2:41 AM here... I must have slept for a coon's age on the plane because I am not even tired!
So I had a cutie group of friends take me to the airport! Tyler, Lisa, and Katie all rolled out of bed at 6:30 to drive me up. I'm so lucky to have such sweet friends/brother! I think I just blabbed and cracked jokes the whole way while they were half asleep.... 
The only exciting/stressful thing happened when I went to check in. I walked up rather cheerfully and told the agent how tan she looked. We instantly bonded. Then she looks up my flight and told me I wouldn't make it as it left in ten minutes! What the.... So my instructor came over to talk with her and sure enough I had been booked on the earlier flight. The lady started typing and clicking away but she said I would probably have to leave the next day! The travel agency hadn't told my teacher that I was leaving earlier than everyone else. I was super sad but tried to be flexible. The standby list was super long, the flight the rest of my group was on was full, and any other connecting flight wouldn't get me to my next leg on time. I was contemplating who could come get me and take me back to Provo when tan Delta airline lady (Wendy was her name) says, "Oh we got you on the flight!" YAY. I don't know what she did but seriously it was a miracle. I think it was something kinda shady or against the rules because she stopped talking about it when her supervisor came by. I told Wendy thanks no less than bout ten times. I was so glad I had been friendly from the get-go and that Heavenly Father decided to give me a little tender mercy. 
The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Oh on my flight from Atlanta to Ecuador I got a whole row of seats to myself! That's pretty neat. 
It was interesting to see how many people were wearing masks to prevent the H1N1 virus or Swine Flu. My friend Megan and I snapped a photo with a cute airport worker in Ecuador with hers on. One flight actually got delayed because Ecuador did not want to let anyone fly in that had originated in Mexico. We had to wait while the passenger and her luggage were taken off the plane. I believe Ecuador still hasn't had any cases reported yet... so far so good!
We got in pretty late and just checked in! Tomorrow we're going to orient at some of our clinical spots. I'm pretty much ecstatic to start using my Spanish and nursing skillz..... Wish me luck! Love you guys! 






4 comments:

Katie said...

I miss you Allie!! But I'm so happy you made it safely! Can't wait to read all your crazy stories! Last night bree and i couldn't help but notice how empty the apartment was...we watched The Phantom of the Opera and reminisced about days of old when we had all four DS-Dubs! Anyway, we will be happy...it's just hard that's all :-) Love you!

Jordan Beasley said...

Glad you made it safely. Do it, girl- even if they don't have Taco Bell bean burritos down there.

Kimber said...

Yay!!! So glad you're blogging again!! Love the pics!! Keep us posted!!!

Trisha Kae said...

That is so scary that they almost didn't let you on the flight! Thanks goodness for girl bonding and tan skin! I am so glad it worked out for you. That is so cute that everyone took you to the airport. good luck with everything