Monday, May 25, 2009

jurassic park and eating guinea pigs

Monday we were able to tour with the Benson Institute and see what work they have been doing in Otavalo. It was super interesting. The Benson Institute is kinda an offshoot of the Church Humanitarian Aid. They work mostly with nutrition and agriculture projects. In Otavalo they help families grow their own gardens and tend chickens and cuy (pronounced kwee). Here's a photo of me holding a cute cuy. 

You may be wondering why they are called cuys. Well this video should explain all. 


 We got to visit four families and talk to them about their involvement in the project. The thing that really stood out to me was the families’ self-reliance. Within a year the families were basically tending the gardens and chickens/guinea pigs on their own and providing for their families. If their yield increases beyond what they need, they can donate to the Bishop’s storehouse or community families, and then even sell some for a profit. I loved talking to the mothers and fathers. They seemed so proud of the work they were doing whether it was a beautiful vegetable garden or a group of large chickens. I also love how they are to donate their excess first to the Bishop’s storehouse or community if they are nonmembers. This Law of Consecration type organization works down here! I believe it is because the people down here are much more communitarian and much less individualistic than we are in America. They are so quick to share of their substance- even with us! It is rare for us to enter a house and not be offered a drink or snack. We have even had families run down (unbeknownst to us) and buy a liter of soda to offer us. I have a lot to learn from these people. They make me want to simplify my life and truly care more about those around me than I do myself.


After the Benson Institute, we grabbed lunch in Cotacachi. This city is famous for their leather so some people got some cute purses. 

We ate at a little restaurant that even had a little Andean music band! On the menu was Qui, the name for the little guinea pigs we had seen earlier. It is a delicacy around these parts so we decided we better try it. The scariest thing was that it actually was a whole guinea pig with eyes, teeth, and a tail! We took some pictures of our lovely appetizer before divvying up the rodent. I got a little drumstick I guess- one of the hind legs! It tasted just like chicken so if you didn’t think about the fact it was a guinea pig it wasn’t too bad.

Then we went to a little crater  lake and took a boat ride around an island in the middle. In typical Ecuadorian style, our boat broke down in the middle of the lake, we ran into the swampy island, and had to wait until the engine would start again. I seriously love this place- always an adventure!



During the boat ride, someone mentioned that they felt like they were in Jurassic Park, all they needed was the theme song. Luckily, I learned that little ditty on the piano back in the day (mind you it was about ten years ago). I started humming the tune and everyone chimed in! When we landed, my friend, Taniel, started speaking in an awesome British accent and this video was born. Again, not sure why I'm humiliating myself though this blog. 


Next we packed out of our lakeside hotel and loaded the bus to head back to Quito! It was a peaceful two-hour ride. I sat next to Katie and we chatted the whole way about nursing, our futures, and decisions that were coming up. Before leaving, I barely knew Katie except for taking her home once from clinical. Now, I’m so grateful for our sweet friendship. Luckily, we’ll have the whole next year together in our nursing classes too!

We got into Quito in the evening and went out to find some dinner. We asked the front desk for a suggestion. We wanted Italian, cheap, and close to the hotel. I thought it was a little much to ask for but the lady gave us directions and we were off! I couldn’t believe it when we found a cute little Italian restaurant. Guayaquil had nothing of the sort. I got a huge plate of spaghetti for $3.60. Another reason I will miss this place… 

1 comment:

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

I wish you were home and could play "Jurassic Park" for me! It would be so worth all the hundreds of dollars that I spent on piano lessons, just to hear you play that song instead of humming it right now!!!!!