Thursday, May 28, 2009

bittersweet $400

So I'm a little behind on the blog but here's an up-to-date post. 
Tonight I arrived at the Quito airport for my flight for the U.S. of A. and was pretty stoked right? Well, I walked up to a desk right after my friend, Katie. While the lady is typing and clicking away checking me in, Katie (my roomie) turns to me and says, "Wait, Allie, want to stay 24 hours more for $400?" My first instinct was to turn down the offer. The airline agent started rattling off something about a five star hotel, food vouchers, transportation, and $400 towards any Delta flight. The whole time I was thinking of my dear bffs and bro at home! We had so many plans for Friday and Saturday- the most distressing being a welcome home party on Friday night! 
I broke out the computer, jumped on Skype, and made some phone calls. Mother said it was probably a good idea because $400 is quite a bit of dinero and I'm not exactly rollin in the dough with my little research jobs. It kinda seemed meant to be especially because I have been really wanting to come home in June. Ty seemed a little less enthralled with the idea but agreed. I was still beside myself about my sweet friends who had made so many plans for the weekend but decided I wasn't in a place to pass up $400 in Delta vouchers. I made my decision but waited to hear from my friends that everything was okay.
Katie convinced our friend, Sonya, to join us too and then it was official! Three other girls later in line decided to stay the extra day also. Two of the boys called their wives but when they heard the sadness of their wives about the 24-hour delay it was a no go. Oh the joys of being single and unattached!

For the first few hours I could hardly enjoy myself, still worried sick about my besties (Ty, Lisa, Katie, Bree, Benson, Jenna, Kalli, etc.). Luckily, I have the sweetest friends ever and they all were really understanding. Hopefully we can reschedule the party for sometime soon! Thanks guys for even thinking to plan a welcome home party and for being so nice when it didn't work out. I can't wait to see everyone! 
In the meantime, we are living the dream in Ecuador! We decided if we're going to have to stay 24 hours more we might as well make the most of it. It's not too hard to enjoy yourself here. Delta has put us up in one of the nicest hotels in Quito- the Dann Carlton. We even have a swimming pool and spa! 

As soon as we got to our rooms we all put on our little slippers. 
Now I'll be arriving Saturday morning at 10:25 am! I'm so super excited to see all my friends and catch up, especially after the delay. See you then!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Dang girl...$400 dollars and a sweet hotel stay. Very nice. I totally commend you for snagging that deal. Again, no worries about the change of plans. Parties are super easy to re-plan. We love you and can't wait to see you!