Monday, May 18, 2009

back to school.. back to school



Monday we were busy at a new school screening again! 
Community is definitely my favorite part of this experience. It's so fun to be with the kids and out in their environment. As usual, I snapped a kajillion photos of the cute kiddos. I was on "crowd control" (directing lost/wandering children to stations), vision screening, and wherever else they needed help. 




On the way home, we got to stop by an Hogar de Cristo building to see the "Mechanical Cow." I was picturing a machine-ish metal cow. Maybe no udders but at least a cow-looking thing. Sounds like that right? Well when I actually saw it I kinda felt like a fool. It just looks like a fancy hot chocolate maker or something. See below... 
Later I got to go to "Noche de Hogar" (Family Home Evening) with one of my favorite families in the ward! I have been attending Sunday School and Young Women's with Diana. She's twelve and gorgeous. We quickly became friends and I spent every Sunday with her. 

Anyway, this last Sunday we were at the ward, she invited me to come to Family Night! Her mom invited a few of the other girls too. It was a blast. I loved seeing where this sweet family lived all together. They are wonderful people. We spent most of the time just chatting about their conversion stories, sacrifices to get sealed in the temple, and family life. The girls performed their instruments (violin and recorder) and showed us drawings they had done. It totally reminded me of our "talent night" FHEs when I was little. 


I love getting to know the Ecuadorian people, especially the members of the Church. They are so humble and loving. There is nothing that melts my heart more down here than a sweet husband or father. With the machismo mentality in Ecuador, many of the men do not feel responsibility for their family or their welfare. Many fail to provide for their wife and children or up and leave them. Because of this, I am so impressed when I see dads cuddling their little ones during Sacrament Meeting or husbands adoring their wives. I loved Diana's dad. He encouraged each of the girls to share their talents with us and kept emphasizing how they were so gifted and special. Then, when we sat down for dinner, he served each of us and ensured that his wife and each daughter were full before portioning a plate for himself. He spoke about saving his money so his little girls may have all the education they want. He said I may not drive them in a really nice car (it was actually broken down at the moment) but they will have opportunities. 
These thoughts naturally made me reflect on my own life. I have been blessed with the most adoring father. He has always supported me in my endeavors and reassured me of my worth when I doubted. I remember when I was deciding whether to run for a Student Government position in high school he finally took me aside and told me how talented and able I was. He has always given me the confidence I needed to pursue my goals and for that I am so grateful. Even the other night on the phone, he asked how my Spanish was going down here. When I sheepishly answered "okay" he quickly reproached me and complimented my language skills. I'm glad my dad, like Diana's, desires to give his children opportunities and confidence. 
I didn't know this was going to turn into an love note to my dad, but since it's already happened... I love you so much Daddy! 



In other news... We leave tomorrow for Quito! I'm super behind in blogging. Lo siento. We met with the two organizations we work with here to debrief today. We fly out early tomorrow morning! I better go pack. Love you guys!

3 comments:

Kimber said...

What a sweet post! I love that pic of you and Dad!

Anonymous said...

omg i learned how to comment on blogs! I love the pix and the blog! I love you and CANNOT wait to see you!!!!

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

Allie, I love you. You are too nice. sounds like an amamzing trip. You have such a great attitude and Christlike love. Love, Dad