Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The "I-Lose-Everything-Important" Genes


Tuesday I had my first and only day of real clinical at Luis Vernaza Hospital. Other students have spent a week or so there but I chose to spend more time at Sotomayor (the maternity hospital) and out in the community screening the kids. 

Oh before I begin I have to tell a story on behalf of my dear mother from whom I seem to have inherited my “I-lose-everything-important” genes. Well I have had a letter I needed to send since I even arrived in Ecuador! I had finally addressed and stamped it- ready to go. That morning I was running out with my backpack and a huge CPR bag full of dummies. I saw the letter on the counter and grabbed it to mail on my way out. Well between leaving my room, riding the elevator, and arriving in the lobby, the letter completely disappeared. I ran up to my room three times, tore apart my suitcase, and ransacked the counters and drawers. I was beside myself. After all this time I just up and lost the stupid letter. Our van arrived and I sulked out with the other students.

Needless to say I was rather grumps when I got to Vernaza. My roommate Katie and I were assigned to teach a CPR class to nurse’s assistants. My sour face faded as we started instructing the cute students. We taught adult CPR, baby CPR, the Heimlich, and baby Heimlich. I love watching them practice situations on the dummies. It’s kinda scary how little healthcare providers know about CPR but hopefully our classes will help them in the future.

My friend took a video of me while I was teaching! I can't figure out how to upload it on here but the URL is 

http://picasaweb.google.com/byuecuador2009/19Mayo2009#5339217543755206450

baby Heimlich

After that I headed to the OR for a few hours. This may seem exciting but the OR is my least favorite place to nurse, probably because there is little for a nurse to do while the surgeon slices and scrapes away with his myriad of tools. I basically stood in the corner. We grabbed a free lunch at the hospital’s cafeteria-- always a treat. :)

Here's something I saw while walking the halls of Vernaza Hospital. The sign reads, "Use in case of fire." The fire extinguisher is unfortunately MIA. Scary.

I was still beside myself about the letter. As soon as we got back to the hotel, I ran to the front desk to ask about it. The sweet lady asked me my last name and then said they had found the letter in a hallway of the hotel and placed it back in my room. Phew!

Then, I got back to the room and my roommate asked me where the assignment sheet for the health fair was. Oh no. Yet another moment of the “I-lose-everything-important” genes. Usually this does not strike twice in one day. This time I was not so lucky. I tore through everything and failed to locate the paper. Fortunately, my roomie was sweet and helped me recreate the assignments. Mother please get a kick out of these mishaps. I know you will…  

During the afternoon we blogged and relaxed. For dinner we ordered pizza! They have “Loco Martes” and the pizza is buy one get one free. Wonderful.

Then we loaded in the vans for another health fair! This time I was assigned to teach baby CPR and the Heimlich. It was so fun! Each of us girls took a little part to teach and then we helped the members practice on our baby dummies. It’s fun to teach them because they are so enthusiastic. We made five groups and rotated them through the classes: nutrition, diabetes/hypertension, adult CPR, and baby CPR/Heimlich. There’s also a station where they get to have their blood pressure and blood glucose checked. Some of my friends from the ward we attend came so I snapped some pics. 


No comments: