Friday, May 15, 2009

¡Bailamos!

Friday was a super fun and busy day! First, I went to the schools one more time to finish up some hemoglobins on the kindergarteners. You can see my previous post if you wonder how that went. :)
Then we came home to shower and relax for a bit before we headed off to another Stake Health Fair. This time I was working in the Nursery! At first none of the parents even brought their kids but I lured them in with some animal crackers (Mom I learned that tactic from you!). The language barrier and lack of toys made for an exciting night. I tried to teach them "Red Light, Green Light" but they didn't quite understand. I just kept saying rojo, verde, or amarillo and they would make up what each one meant on the spot and run around. Awesome. 
Here's one of the cute little girls I played with.... 

After the health fair we headed to a Young Single Adults dance down here. A few people forgot clothes to change into so pretty sure we went straight there in our scrubs! As if we didn't already stick out enough.... It was so fun to hang with the YSA in Ecuador! Actually at first they seemed scared by us. The only person that would dance with us was the Church's PR guy that brought us there! His name is Gunther and he kindly taught us some dance moves. Despite the little lesson we still looked like fools on the dance floor. I am sure there is some "hip shaking" gene we just don't get as white people. Finally I mustered the courage to ask this cute group of girls if I could dance with them. They had some sweet moves and Gunther could only entertain us for so long! So we made some new friends and danced until we were dripping with sweat. Yay! 

Getting hyper before the dance...

Trying to blend in :)
New friends!

And here's some videos for your amusement. Sorry to say I'm not actually in these because I was behind the camera! 

Gunther leading the pack of nurses

How to look really white at a Latin dance


Friday encompassed two of my greatest passions: teaching about health and Latin dancing. Perfect.

3 comments:

kate said...

Please take these videos off the web immediately!! Or else I will have Sondra pull them off for their "inappropriate"ness

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

Allie,
Grandma and I just finished looking at your blog. It was cute , interesting and informative. It sounds like you are doing a very benifical work. We are very pleased with the experience andk service that you are doing. We enjoyed seeing your blog and having this opportunity to communicate with you. We love you, and so glad and blessed to have as our lovely grand daughter. We love you and send our deepest feelings for you. Have a wonderful remaining time and we will have a great time hearing about your experiences when you get home.

Sincere love,

Grandma and Grandpa Olson

Kimber said...

Wow! That was amazing! Loved the videos!!!