Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Oops..

So I haven't writted in forever... Sorry! I've been so busy! Now that we know the kids pretty well they invite us over all the time after school. It's kinda cute like being in grade school again! :) It's fun to meet their families and see their living conditions. Their mother's usually give us really sugary juice or warm coke. I haven't figured out which I prefer. I also started tutoring a cute little girl, Genesis, twice a week. She's 11 and cannot even write the alphabet. So it has been really rewarding to read and write with her.
This past weekend we went to this gorgeous beach, Playa Grande. It was the classic white sand, clear-blue water beach. I got a fatty burn on my back which was pretty lame. I put on spray sunscreen but I think it must have been windy or something because my back definitely did not get covered! We just swam and made a sand castle and hiked around.
This weekend we're going to Santo Domingo to see the temple and historical sites there! It should be really fun! We're staying in temple housing and I heard rumor that they have air conditioning so I am extra excited! I cannot even imagine not sweating while I fall asleep. It's going to be glorious. Of course getting to go to the temple will still be the highlight of the trip though!
I only have 11 more days here! It's kinda hitting me. I'm trying to make the most of every day and do everything I wanted to. I can't wait to go home but I also want to take advantage of my time here. I am just so content here. I get at least 10 hugs a day from the cutest, most loving kids. I am teaching lessons that I am truly passionate about and concepts that could help this developing community. I am learning so much about the Spanish language. The friends I work and live with are fun, intelligent, admirable people. I live freaking three feet from a beautiful Carribean beach! Of course at times I still get hot and sick of the food and grumpy but it never lasts long because I'm doing something I care about.
I am going to miss those aspects of this experience for sure but I'll be ready to come home to you all in 11 days. :) Sorry I haven't been the best blogger but I've been busy doing good things! I'll probably blog a few more times before I go and then I'll blog some photos when I get home. Thanks for reading my random thoughts, whoever is still reading! I miss you all lots. Start planning a fatty party for when I get home k? I'm not even kidding. Love you guys!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Allie! You are amazing! I love reading your entries and looking at your pictures! I'm super glad you are enjoying yourself so much and I'm super excited for you to come home soon to tell us about it in person! I'm sure Santa Cruz doesn't even compare to these beaches...but it's still a must! Love you!