Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th!

Hey everyone!
This will be quick. I just had to tell you about an experience I had today. We were walking out of the school after preparing our classrooms and there was a huge crowd of people yelling in the streets. I noticed a big truck in the middle with military men standing in the back. A couple of the men even had big guns slung on their shoulders. The people of the village were screaming at them and reaching out their arms. I asked someone what was going on and they told me that one of the political parties was giving out food in order to ensure votes. The people were desperate, begging for the bags of food. Then suddenly the truck drove off and the people wandered back to their homes. Some showed their prized bag of food to their friends and the bag-less walked away disappointed. I guess this is pretty common in third world countries but it was crazy to see their destitute situation firsthand. Later I contrasted this with our political process and government. It was interesting to see this on the Fourth of July and all. I know we still have tons of problems (immigration, social security, poverty, etc) but we have a lot to be grateful for. For example, we have wonderful, classy candidates like Mitt Romney we can vote for! So go donate! Haha that was my shameless plug for the night!
Okay a cockroach just crawled under my chair... I think that's my cue to head to bed! Love you all lots!

No comments: