Thursday, August 2, 2007

Mommy don't be mad.....



My experience in the Dominican Republic is now complete. Today I rode a motoconcho (motorcycle)! It was AMAZING. My mom is probably either yelling at the computer right now or searching for her cell phone so that she can leave me a nasty voicemail. I'm not going to lie half of the excitement of riding that motorcycle came from feeling so rebellious and picturing her reaction. I wasn't planning on riding one; the opportunity just arose and I took advantage! I needed to get money out of our hotel safe and we're always at camp when the office is open. So I talked to the director and he was like just go with our employee, Fermin, during a period. I went down to the camp office and the director handed me a helmet. I was like wait a second... motoconcho? I hesitated for a second, especially when I looked down and realized I was wearing a skirt, but then I was like hey when in Rome... I jumped on the back with Fermin and we were off! At first I was scared out of my mind. My sweaty hands were wrapped like claws on Fermin's shoulders as we bumped around on the dirt road. I felt so utterly Dominican. My braids were blowing in the wind, my heart was racing, and I had a fatty smile on my face. On the way over, one of his other little motoconcho buddies even pulled along side us and they had a cute little conversation as they drove! I got to the hotel and the office wasn't even open but I didn't care. When we were driving back he yelled over his shoulder and asked if I wanted to go faster. I decided I might as well enjoy this motorcycle ride because it would probably a once in a lifetime opportunity. I felt so brave as we picked up speed on the main road. Sorry Mom you may be livid but it was totally worth it!

2 comments:

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

ALLIE YOU ARE GROUNDED!!!!! AND I MEAN IT!!!! AND YES, I AM YELLING!!! LOVE, MOM

Carrie said...

Hey! Congratulations on getting into the Nursing program at BYU! Very impressive. I saw your mom's blog and you look like you are having a great time at BYU! Isn't it the best time ever! What a wonderful place! I get so sentimental just thinking about Utah.