Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Soy profesora Lucia!

Okay so I've finally started teaching! It's so fun! We made health journals on Monday and then we learned about the germ theory and family health. The kids are wonderful... most of the time. :) It's funny because usually I'm not the most assertive person but when it's in another launguage and the kids are getting on my nerves I lose all my inhibitions. I'm definitely the disciplinarian in our group of teachers. Oh and my new name is Lucia! It was my name in one of my spanish classes and now it's come in handy! There's another teacher named "Ali" and it was going to be too confusing so I got to name myself. Sometimes the kids have to yell "LUCIA!" five times before I remember that's the dumb name I picked out. My Spanish is coming along nicely! I have taught about a third of each of the lessons. I always stand there and stutter like "Caracter... caracterist..pues..." and then three or four kids will blurt out "Caracteristicas!" It's kinda wonderful how I came here to teach them about health and hygiene and then they teach me how to say characteristics in Spanish. I love it so much.
On another more disturbing note, last night I had my first internal wrestle with the Dominican food. Mom and any others easily disgusted should probably not read on. I have been doing so well with this foreign diet and then last night at two in the morning it all went wrong. I was naseous I thought my stomach was going to explode. I guess it kinda did. I basically slept on a thin towel in my sauna-like bathroom with only cockroaches for support. I don't think there was anything left in my G.I. tract. I even dry heaved until I threw up yellow, bitter bile (my knowledge of physiology came in handy!). This lasted until seven in the morning. My nurse friend gave me an electrolyte drink and off to school I went! As soon as I got off the bus my favorite little boy, Eliezer called out "Lucia!" and ran into my arms and gave me a cute little kiss on the cheek. It was just what I needed :) He is precious. My nausea decreased throughout the day but I think I'm going to be a little more careful about what I eat! Ironically in Tyler's email to me today he asked if I had gotten sick yet. We'll have to compare stories!
Okay well I better run. My time at the internet cafe is dwindling. Sorry this blog wasn't as interesting or insightful but whatever just deal with it. I hope everything at home is peachy! Love, Lucia

3 comments:

Rachel said...

What an experience! I'm not sure I am so jealous of the food sickness, but that's so awesome you get to teach the kids! And learn spanish!

Muy bien Lucia!

Kimber said...

Fun fun! Sounds like you're have a great time for the most part! You need to put up more pictures! Hope you're having a blast! Ate a "dum-dum" sucker today and it reminded me of Africa (since we gave them away there) and subsequently you since you're doing work like we did in Africa. Anyways, wanted to let you know that I was thinking about ya! Love ya!

Kimber said...

More posts please! I know I'm not the only one requesting!! Love ya!