Sunday, July 22, 2007

Halfway Done!






So I am now halfway done with my time here in the DR! It's strange because in some ways I am really sad because I love it here and I have so much to learn! But then I think of you guys and air conditioning and the lake and In N Out, etc. and I know I'll be ready to come home. :)


This week was really fun in school! I stayed home sick on Monday but then the rest of the week I was at camp! We taught nutrition, hand washing, fecal-oral disease prevention, and water supply. The fecal-oral lesson was fun. We started out by asking the kids if they wanted to eat poop. They found the lesson pretty hilarious! I love teaching the kids because they are so enthusiastic and sweet. Three days a week we go with the kids for lunch at a local restaurant and then the other two days we eat sandwhiches from a garbage bag. The directors make mass amounts of these sandwhiches with just a slice of ham and a slice of cheese and then they put them all in black garbage bags for each classroom. It's pretty hypocritical considering what we're teaching in health class, but oh well! My Spanish is really improving, as is my tan! Every day after school we grab a batida (milkshake/smoothie) and have nap time on the beach. :) I'm definitely going to miss that.


I got to go on a fieldtrip on Thursday! We went to the Teleferico, which is a sketchy gondola type thing that takes people up the mountain to a monument. It was so fun and the view from the top was gorgeous. The kids were pretty scared on the gonola but not gonna lie I was too! It stopped three fourths of the way up and started rolling backwards. Then it jolted a few times and slowly climbed to the top. I think our pack of kids was a little too much for the old machine. On the last fieldtrip all the kids got sick on the bus and threw up all over each other. Our leader had the idea of having the kids sing the whole way to distract them. It worked but I don't think I ever want to hear the camp theme song again.


Yesterday I went on a tour with some friends to a tropical island off of the penninsula of Samana. It was beautiful! We had a little boat ride over and then just played on the perfect little beach. I got a cute little pina colada, sin alcohol :), and laid out for awhile. I only have two more weekends here! Next weekend we're going to another gorgeous beach and then the next weekend we're going to the temple in Santo Domingo!


I hope you all have enjoyed this update! I'm loving the experience here and learning a lot. I hope all is well at home! Love you!

No comments: