Saturday, May 24, 2008

Christmas in May!

Because we just started the New Testament, we decided to celebrate Christmas in May! We drove over to Bethlehem (it's actually only a 20 minute drive from Jerusalem!) and passed through the separation barrier into Palestinian territory. The security there is pretty intense. We walked through Bethlehem Square and the Church of the Nativity. There are actually four churches on the supposed location of the manger. The churches were very ornate and different from each other. The manger was actually most likely part of a covered cave where they would keep animals on their terraced hills.

After visiting Bethlehem Square, we drove over to Shepherd's Fields, where the shepherds may have been when the angel appeared to them. We had a Christmas program looking over the fields and Bethlehem. We sang Christmas carols and had students give insights to the perspectives of the different nativity characters. Each person fulfilled their calling with faith to make the birth of the Son of God possible. His humble birth was the beginning of His perfect life and ministry. While sitting there, I realized He didn't come down here teach, suffer, and redeem just so I could make a mediocre effort at perfecting myself. He came down here so that I may return to Him; I must better myself every day to make that possible. I will never forget this experience. I felt so much peace and gratitude for my Savior and Redeemer.

I hope you could feel a little bit of the Christmas spirit that I did sitting atop Shepherd's Fields. I am still listening to Christmas music..... :)






































1 comment:

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

Allie~I miss you! We are glad that you are having a great time and can't wait till you are back and can tell us all about your adventures! We are having chicken and broccoli casserole for Sunday dinner and wish you were here! Love you lots, Mom