Saturday, August 1, 2009

I'm not a regular mom-- I'm a cool mom!

Today I started an adventure. I am babysitting a family for ten days while their parents go to Israel. Luckily, they are quite possibly the cutest, most well-behaved kids ever. There are only three and the youngest is eight years old. Today was the first day. I watched "Swiss Family Robinson" 2.5 times, swam in the pool, baked a rainbow cake (didn't want to toot my own horn but I had to blog about it!), and now I have three 14 year-old girls hanging out here.
I was packing to come up and I had a critical moment. I started pulling out my sweats and t-shirts because I figured I would just be hanging out with the kids and running them around. Then, I had a preview of my life flash before my eyes and I realized I did NOT want to be a frumpy mom! I quickly grabbed some cute shirts and jeans and stuffed them in my bag.
It made me think of Mean Girls when Amy Poehler (acting as Lindsay Lohan's mom) tells her friends "I'm not a regular mom, I'm a cool mom!"
And to that I say ditto.

Now that I have the wardrobe figured out, any bits of motherly wisdom or parenting advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

Trisha Kae said...

You are hilarious! I probably would have donned the sweats. Mothering advice from Romania: force feed the children even if they don't want to eat, don't let them outside without a hat, don't let them be on the ground, haha just kidding!

Mark and Debbie Holt said...

Here is motherly advice from nonother than your mother: just have fun and don't sweat the small stuff! The things that you stress about now will make you laugh later...it might be way later but at some time you will look back and laugh together with your kids...and that is what makes life so sweet! I just wish I was there with you to enjoy watching you be "mother" because I'm sure you are definitely the "coolest mom" in Utah!! Love you, MOM:)